Thursday, June 21, 2012

Flying with a Guitar (1979 Yamaha FG-335)!


Few things cause a musician more angst than trusting a precious instrument to baggage handlers and the cargo hold of a plane.  Expensive instruments can also be easy targets for theft en route.  I witnessed first-hand the sad result when my brother picked up his guitar from the carousel at Logan International Airport on a flight back from Europe back in the 80s only to find the top of the neck of his Ovation molded hardshell case bent sideways at a 20 degree angle.  The amount of force the improperly stored case must have been subjected to is hard to imagine.  Thankfully, the case did do its job as the guitar was unscathed, and the airline replaced the case, but guitarists are well aware that dangers lurk when traveling the not-so-friendly skies "avec guitare."  

Anticipating a trip to France this summer after years of traveling without a guitar, I researched the various options for bringing a guitar along.  Certain case manufacturers cater to the traveling musician, whether on tour or on vacation, and offer extra reinforced guitar cases for check-in, such as Gator Cases.  I even purchased a used CaseExtreme "Clam" travel case that actually envelops your hardshell guitar case in a corrugated plastic case with sturdy foam holders for an added layer of protection.  The preferred option, however, is not to check your guitar at all but carry it on.  Here it can get dicey though because if your flight is full, your plane is small, or both, you may have to check it at the gate anyway at the discretion of the flight crew.  Using a padded gig bag will increase the chances that you can fit your guitar in overhead storage or, failing that, that a sympathetic flight attendant will agree to place it in an upright coat check space for you.  The alternative gate check, however, while still better than simple cargo because it will be handled and delivered by hand along with children's strollers and the like, can cause your blood pressure to go up, especially if you indeed opted to leave your hardshell case behind.  Most guitarists simply decide not to travel with any prized guitar, but have a workman-like backup guitar that will not destroy their psyche if it is damaged or has to be replaced.  A travel-size guitar (a downsized model or one that has a collapsible neck) can also be a good choice, assuming you can find something you enjoy playing, as it will easily fit in most carry-on luggage compartments in a soft-shell case.

Before leaving, I confirmed online that American Airlines considers guitars hand carry luggage.  I opted to bring my refurbished 1979 Yamaha FG-335 $90 closet find in a Roadrunner padded gig bag. As I was traveling with a family group of five, including my two kids and one of their friends, we presented ourselves at the gate before the boarding for our section was called without any problem.  Although eventually full, our Boeing 757 easily accommodated my gig bag in the overhead storage.  I noticed at least one other passenger also traveling with a gig bag.  Mine never elicited even a second look from the gate or flight staff.  We'll see if the return flight goes as smoothly.  In the meantime, it's been great to be able to play some in front of a Normandy hearth while on vacation.

Check out a more recent flying with a guitar post here.

3 comments:

  1. Happy to report that the flight back was just as uneventful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily they let me strap my FG 335 (in a soft case) to the chair next to me from my flight from Harrison to ATL. I was really lucky. It was a small plane and there weren't many passengers that night. I really lucked out. But your tips will help me better prepare for the next time I travel with my new vintage Yammy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, not much room on those small commuter planes, but then gate check is much more manageable on those flights because it's handled by hand in small quantities.

    ReplyDelete