Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston Marathon Bombing

With the rest of the country, I have been grieving the death and destruction we experienced here in Boston yesterday on what was otherwise a perfect Marathon Monday. The pictures and footage of the detonations and carnage do not convey the full horror of dozens of instantaneous amputations among a cheering crowd of onlookers, well-wishers, and friends and families of the runners.

Unable to focus on work and overwhelmed by the wall-to-wall news coverage, I felt relieved yesterday afternoon when I was able to beckon my son outside to throw a baseball in the street out front. Such a simple pleasure in life, one that sadly will no longer be possible for some local families. I hope those directly affected by the blasts have family and friends to support them through such tragedy.

Later in the evening, I forced myself to spend some time cleaning and re-stringing my latest guitar acquisition. In times of what can be paralyzing grief, focusing on manual tasks helps me to go on. A newly re-strung guitar must be played and frequently re-tuned while the strings initially stretch. So I played some and re-tuned, and played some more. So too, we must process this terrible attack on our community and adjust step-by-step and resume living, enjoying the small blessings of each day. I simply pray that we can protect our children and continue to make music as we move forward, as we must.

No comments:

Post a Comment