Friday, April 12, 2013

2010 Yamaha FG-730S

Another Craigslist strategy that has served me well when I notice a guitar for sale at an inflated price is a respectful email informing the seller what the actual resale value is and expressing interest if they ever want to sell at a more realistic price. So it was that I received a text message this week from a seller who had had no luck selling his Yamaha FG-730S guitar after listing it at $300, which is the current street price new. (The MSRP is $490).

The Yamaha FG-730S features a Solid Sitka Spruce top, and Rosewood back and sides. (Yamaha has designated its solid top FG models with the "S" suffix since their introduction in 1977). Premium appointments include an attractive abalone rosette and vintage-looking yellowed-cream binding, including a bound fretboard and headstock. The headstock also sports an inlaid MOP Yamaha company name and leaf logo and die-cast chrome tuners. Online reviews overwhelmingly agree that this is one of the best options currently available new in the price range for the beginner or intermediate-level player.

The seller had received the guitar as a gift, never learned to play, and was now very motivated to sell before an impending move. We met up outside a local restaurant and I quickly confirmed that the guitar was in brand new condition. Even with its old set of strings, the guitar was easy to play with medium action and without the tinny tonal quality often found on cheaper guitars. It even came with a floor stand. Short story even shorter, I am now the happy owner of an unused 2010 Yamaha FG-730S at a steep discount to retail.  Sweet!

1 comment:

  1. Last week I picked up a 2005 FG-730s (with a stand) from a motivated seller. Similar to your find. Instead of putting it on CraigsList she put it on Letgo & Offerup. First at $100. Like you I have a few "vintage" Yamaha's, but I've been interested in this model. Every one I've tried at a Guitar Center has had dead strings. (GEE, that never happens!!!) I didn't bite at $100. Next week it went down to $80. The next week it went down to $60!!!! I couldn't hold back any longer!!!!! Except for one tiny ding it is in mint condition, and 10 year old strings. New Elixir Nanowebs and a good setup and she's better than new! It may not be the best guitar I've ever heard, but it's better than most $300 guitars, and certainly better than any $60 CraigsList piece of junk. It's currently my favorite. Until possibly picking up a minty FG-336SB tomorrow. I don't have a problem. I can stop at any time...

    ReplyDelete