Saturday, March 30, 2013

1981 Fender FJ-70 (3)


A neighbor and friend who also collects guitars recently picked up a Fender FJ-70 knowing that I really dig this guitar. I was really impressed with the last one I had, and to my ears this one played better than the several vintage Gibson guitars my friend currently has, so I eagerly negotiated a sale that involved a trade and a few greenbacks.

The Fender FJ-70 acoustic guitar has a rich tobacco sunburst finish with an aged solid Sitka Spruce top, Rosewood back and sides, ivory style trim around the body and up the sides of the fretboard, and deluxe crown position markers. Additional premium appointments include the MOP-inlayed Fender logo on the headstock. This is the only Fender in the F series to be offered in sunburst finish at the time. It was only made for a little over a year in 1980-81 and it is therefore quite rare. The FJ-70 originally sold for $360, but is now coveted for significantly more because of its playability, sound, and classic looks. The last one to sell on eBay sold for just under $600.  Fans of this guitar believe it is one of the best acoustics that Fender - better known for its electric guitar line-up - has ever made. I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment