Saturday, April 14, 2012

2002 Martin 000-1

Friday was a good day!  I jumped on a Craigslist listing for a Martin 000-1 guitar that popped up late in the afternoon, and went out to see it that evening.  This guitar has a solid Spruce top with satin finish, solid Mahogany back, and Rosewood bridge and fretboard.  The 000 models are a couple body sizes down from the Dreadnoughts, but the 000-1 retained the full length neck (25.4 in.).  The 000-1 model was in Martin's middle-level line with a solid wood back and front, but laminate sides, that sold for under $1000 between 1995-2005 and has since been discontinued.  This guitar is occasionally available used for around $500 if you're lucky.  By comparison, new Martins below $1,000, including the 000 size, now have high pressure laminate (HPL) back and sides (compressed wood particulates, much like formica). Because the older 000-1 is such a quality guitar in an affordable price range, it usually gets snapped up anytime it appears second-hand.

Having never played this model before, I was immediately struck by how well-crafted it appeared despite its unadorned features.  It was extremely light and comfortable to hold with easy playability and that wonderful Martin tone. There were several deep scratches/gouges in the top of this one, but the satin finish made these less jarring to the eye. That it was not pristine worked for me in any event, because of the reasonableness of the asking price and the fact that this size guitar would be perfect for my son who was showing an interest in taking up the guitar.  His first guitar could be a Martin, just like his dad, and something worth holding on to!  Rounding out the deal was the Martin hardshell case with attractive dark green plush lining (my son's favorite color) and a new set of strings in the pocket.  It was an opportunity I could not let pass.  After a bit of haggling I closed the deal. And I'm so glad I did. This is a guitar that you just want to pick up and play as soon as you put it down.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, but the 000-1 is unique among 000s in having a 25.4" scale length (14 frets to body)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin. I stand corrected! I have made the change above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a wonderful guitar! I'm sure the buyer was thrilled.
    Thanks for stopping by. E

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've owned Martin's my whole life all sizes and models. Some really expensive and some not so (depending on the year) I bought a used 000-1 from the best luthier guitar store in my state knowing I would get a quality instrument at a fair price $800. It's the best sounding Martin I have ever had!

    ReplyDelete