Tuesday, March 20, 2012

1984 Guild F-45CE (2)

FedEx delivered my first Ebay guitar auction purchase today.  I was relieved to get the instrument in one piece.  This vintage Guild was shipped insured from California in its case, boxed up with foam case holders at the top and bottom. Upon taking it out to assess its condition, I was pleased to note that it was as advertised: almost thirty years old and scarcely a blemish.  It played beautifully right out of its original case with a warm and full voice despite its smaller oval soundhole and much thinner profile than my dreadnought-sized guitars.

The Guild F-45CE is a lovely instrument with a delicately arched Mahogany back and retro-looking electric pickup controls.  Guild did not put pick guards on these so I was pleased to see that there were no significant pick scratches or gouges on the solid Spruce top.  Unlike my large Guild F-47RCE, this is not a guitar to be flogged with monster power chords, but is ideal for precise finger- and flat-picking.  Now that I've had a chance to meet her in person, I see no need to add a pick guard to her. The action is also good as is, with the only fixes needed being to re-glue the last inch of the binding at the top of the first fret (a recurring Guild issue on older models it seems) and replacing the Fishman pre-amp battery holder that has some corrosion on the metal contacts.  This is the best addition to the stable so far! I hope to sell some of the others I have recently listed to make room for this find.

3 comments:

  1. This is now all fixed up and ready to go to new home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guitar has now found a good home with an appreciative new owner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See http://acousticpickers.blogspot.com/2012/04/second-sale.html

      Delete