Sunday, March 25, 2012

Motivation

Having a great-sounding guitar that is a pleasure to play is great motivation to progress and learn new material.

This weekend I had some time to work on the 80's classic "The Promise" by When in Rome that my wife has been wanting me to learn since forever.  The guitar arrangement below by Mile 77's Harry Watson was a great starting point.  He uses E-A-C-G-C-E open tuning, which is new to me, and an effective combination of fingerpicking, rhythmic and percussive strumming, and harmonics.



I grabbed my Guild F-47RCE, which to my ears rivals the tone and volume of Watson's Taylor.  With new Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze light-medium strings the open tuning rang out with clarity. Elixir coated strings are also more gentle on the fingers (having not played regularly in years, I am only just beginning to re-develop protective calluses on the tips of my fingers).  It's going to take me a little bit longer to master the lyrics and syncopation, but it feels great to be making music again.

No comments:

Post a Comment