Friday, March 2, 2012

Guitar Hero 2 (James Taylor)


I've grown up with sweet baby James Taylor.  The man is a master song craftsman and guitar lyricist.  His albums are classics, and at least a couple good JT covers are a must for any serious singer with an acoustic.  Now you can take personal guitar lessons for free from the man himself at his website!  Besides getting to admire his gorgeous post-and-beam barn rehearsal space, the production of his lesson videos is fantastic. He uses up to four simultaneous video angles so you can see exactly what he is doing.  The best part is the right hand is visualized from inside the guitar (yes, there is a camera mounted in the body of his guitar!).  The view angle of his left hand on the fretboard from above is equally helpful.  With closeup frames of both hands available simultaneously, an intermediate player should be able to pick up some classic JT riffs in one sitting. Thank you Mr. Taylor!

By the way, that's a Gibson J-50 he is playing in this 1970 performance and it still sounds great whenever it gets pulled out of Mr. Taylor's guitar vault! See the short clip below (a guitar collector's dream!):

7 comments:

  1. Great Blog Mister Picker! My first guitar was a Gibson J-50. I bought it new about 1967, when I had dreams of of accompanying myself, but was too stupid to go get some lessons. So I muddled by with 4 or 5 chords playing the same four Lovin' Spoonful songs. One day, a few years later, the neck fell onto a beautiful French crystal wine glass, scarring the neck, breaking the glass and chipping a Delft clock. Years after that I used to play for my kids. My oldest son (JH) - a three year old at the time - got ahold of it w/o my knowledge and used the tuning knobs to turn the neck into a corkscrew. I ended up junking it with regrets, but better educated. Years later, I have started anew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Henry! That's a heartbreaking story! A 1967 Gibson J-50 is now worth $2500-$3400. Even a rehab project would be worth some significant bucks...

    What guitar are you playing these days...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note that the latest Blue Book values the '67 J-50 in excellent condition at $1800-2250, and $1075-1350 in average condition.

      Delete
  3. JT's latest guitar lesson!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTjd4sna_4o&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that JT's Gibson J-50 is either a 1955 or 56, If I recall correctly. In 1964/65 he traded in his cello for the J-50. His mother said this was ok, but admonished him to but a good guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome! JT chose a great guitar, I'd say. Of course, he had a whole lot to do with the sound.

    - Ian

    ReplyDelete